Leslie “Les” A. Hampton passed away peacefully on February 17th, 2022, at the age of 82 after a courageous battle with cancer, surrounded by his family.
He was born January 22, 1940, in Charleston, Illinois and resided in Gilbert, Arizona for the past 4 years, having moved from Sturgis, Michigan.
Les was the most kind, compassionate, generous, and loving husband, father, grandfather, and friend. He loved his family beyond measure. We will miss his wonderful smile, cheerful demeanor and embracing hugs. He will be dearly missed by all, and his legacy will never be forgotten.
He leaves behind his high school sweetheart and loving wife Nancy of 63 years and the joys of his life, a son; Scott (Sheryl) Hampton, grandson; Dustin (Andrea) Hampton, and grandson; Derek Hampton, all of whom reside in Arizona. Stepsister-in-law; Phillis Payne, stepsisters; Charlotte (Fred) Brown and Ann Whitby, stepbrothers; Jack (Diane) Payne, Gary Payne, Tim Payne, and Mike (Geri) Payne.
He was preceded in death by his father, Donald Hampton; stepmother, Marjorie Hampton; mother, Betty Payne; stepfather Leland Payne; sister, Donna Buchanan; and stepbrother Richard Payne.
Les was Senior Vice President and Co-Owner of Starcraft Recreational Vehicle Company of Topeka, Indiana. He was a coach, teacher, and mentor to many throughout his 23-year career. After retiring, he dedicated the next 16 years to helping his son build a private business.
Les was a member of the following:
- Meridian Sun-Eagle Lodge #49 Free & Accepted Masons of Michigan,
- Grand Chapter R.A.M. Royal Arch Masons Chapter #26 Sturgis, Michigan,
- Grand Council-Royal Select Masons of Michigan, Nebuzaradan, Council #6,
- &S.M Three Rivers, Michigan-Super Excellent Master, Knights Templar
- Columbia #018 Commandery Sturgis, Michigan-Sir Knight
- Saladin Temple A.A.O.N.M.S. of Grand Rapids, Michigan- Noble
- Sturgis Shrine Club Sturgis Michigan Affiliate of Saladin Temple, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- Past Member Sturgis Shrine Club (Fire Brigade)
- Past Member Society of Automotive Engineers (S.A.E.)
- United States Army USAR 1958-1966 – Honorable Discharge
In accordance with family wishes, cremation has taken place. No memorial service is planned. Final resting place will be in Oaklawn Cemetery in Sturgis, Michigan at a later date. Gilbert Memorial Park, Gilbert Arizona is assisting the family with arrangements. Donations may be made to St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital.